Saturday, February 21, 2009

I Want Some of your Brown Sugar...

If you haven't heard it, listen to the song "Brown Sugar" by D'Angelo. It's a nice smooth sultry song that's been in my head all week. I love dark brown sugar! The flavor is so deep and rich. It really can make a difference in a recipe. On my quest to make all 15 cupcake recipes in Martha Stewart Living Feb edition, my friend Diana (of Pashunfroot and ThymetoLime) and I decided to make the Brown Sugar Pound Cake Cupcakes with a Brown Butter glaze. This recipe is my 4th out of 15... still quite a few to go! Please check out Diana's interpretation of the same recipe at ThymetoLime!

These cupcakes are great! Delicious, sophisticated and rich, these cupcakes are on another level from the ordinary, run of the mill cupcake. The flavor is deep and intense, and the glaze elevates the overall cupcake to a new level. The flavor was reminiscent of the DB Caramel cake with brown butter frosting, but better. I prefer this cupcake, a little less sugary sweet, a little different flavor. They were easy to make. I goofed a little bit, I added 2 1/2 cup of brown sugar instead of 2 1/4, and I used dark brown instead of light brown as called for. I also added a bit of vanilla to the batter. My recipe made 30 instead of 27, and I felt like a little more glaze would have been nice... I was defeinitely scrounging to frost them all. When making the frosting, I put my butter on low, and it still browned up very fast. Make sure you watch the butter, if you don't it will burn right up. I used a sieve to separate the solids, and when I poured the butter into the powdered sugar, it sizzled loud! The recipe doesn't say to let it cool, so I just went for it... as far as I can tell, it didn't mess anything up! Here's the recipe.

Once again, another good recipe, I highly recommend it! Martha's on a roll- 4/4 cupcakes that I'd love to make again!

Addendum: My cupcakes made it to Tastespotting again!! Search: jesschubb. YEAHHH!!!!

4 comments:

Leonor de Sousa Bastos said...

They look delicious...

Good luck with the remaining recipes!!

Jade said...

Super Yum!This looks so delicious! very innovative!

Jess said...

Thanks Ladies!! You should try these, theyre delicious!

Ingrid_3Bs said...

I want some brown sugar & butter. Your cupcakses sound divine!
~ingrid