Sunday, February 15, 2009

Assorted Culinary Adventures!

I've gathered a bunch of delicious experiences, but haven't had a minute to put them online, so here are two together. Mexican chocolate truffle and red velvet cake. Yummy! They were all really stellar recipes, and I will definitely make the cakes again. My random non-food photo is a frozen lake that my brother threw a big rock on. The crack pattern was so cool looking I just had to share!
1. Mexican Chocolate Truffle. No, I didn't make this one, I bought it, but it was so beautiful I had to photograph. Look at the size of this thing! I ate it over a few days because it was so big and so rich that I couldn't eat it all in one sitting! I don't remember the name of the chocolatier, but I'll come back in a few and post it. 2. Red Velvet Cake with cream cheese frosting. My brother saw the movie "Welcome Home Roscoe Jenkins" recently, and in one crucial scene, Roscoe eats a "delicious looking piece of Red Velvet Cake" says my brother, with his childhood love. He requested I try it out for him so he can eat some. He doesn't even really like cake. My brother is the absolute most PICKY person in the entire world! It wasn't until the past few years that my now 23 year old brother ate plain iceberg lettuce! He doesn't eat peaches or tomatoes, the thought of eating either of those things makes vomit spontaneously, and don't let there be a hidden tomato or peach in something, he won't be able to eat until the next day. Anyways, I was skeptical about him actually liking the cake, but i figured whatever, just go for it. I looked on Tastespotters and I saw a recipe from Pinch My Salt that she describes as her husband's family hand me down recipe. I looked it over and decided it looked great, so I gave it a whirl. I made the cream cheese icing to go with it, a necessity. Cream cheese icing is the ONLY way to go, Southern or not! I love the way the outside of the cake looks so pure...and then BAM, a burst of color! The only substitutions I made were: 1. I only used 1oz of red food coloring... I think that was plenty. 2. I also used the Special Dark cocoa instead of the regular. I think it added a little stronger flavor and definitely helped with the deep rich color. 3. I added a tsp of vanilla. I put vanilla in virtually all of my baked goods. As far as tips go, definitely beware what you wear that day. Red got EVERYWHERE! Also watch the oven closely, One minute my cake was not ready, the next it was slightly overdone. Other than that, just follow the recipe as written, and it will turn out PERFECT!
It's hiding a deep, dark secret...
BAM! So red its almost bleeding!
I highly recommend this red velvet recipe. I've tried a few in the past and been dissapointed. This one is the best one I've tried so far! Delish!

No comments: