Monday, January 12, 2009

Not Quite Macarons...

I decided to try my hand at Nigella's Pistachio Macaroons, "the world's most elegant macaroons." Sigh. Mine tasted good, but tragically came out flat. Ultra flat, and sticking to the pan. The taste was pretty good, although I would recommend only using a small amount of icing on each, because its ULTRA sweet, although flavorful. The best ones are in the pictures... sad huh?? I really like the idea of them and the flavor, so I think I'll try again tomorrow. I'm not sure where I went wrong. I beat the whites up very well, everything looked like I thought it would, but then I took them on a short car ride (potential for evil). They looked like they survived the car ride pretty well....but maybe not. Oh well, at least they don't use a lot of pans or make big batches. Here's Nigella's recipe from How to be a Domestic Goddess.
Macaroons:
1/3 C or 3 oz pistachios
3/4 c confectioner's sugar
2 large egg whites
1 tbsp sugar

Buttercream
1/4 c or 2 oz pistachios
1 2/3 c confectioners sugar
1/2 c unsalted butter, softened
2 baking sheets lined with wax or parchment paper

Preheat oven to 350 F.
Grind pistachios in food processor with confectioners sugar until fine as dust. Whisk eg whites until fairly stiff but not dry, sprinkle the sugar over and whisk until very stiff. Fold the whites into the pistiachio-sugar dust, and combine gently. Pipe small rounds onto pined baking sheet using a pain 1/2 inch nozzle. Let them sit for 10 minutes to form a skin. Then put in oven and cook for 10-12 minutes, they should be set, but not dried out.

Remove from the oven and let cool, still on their sheets, while you get on with the filling. Grind the nuts and confectioners' sugar in the processor, then cream the butter and continue creaming as you add the nut dust. Make sure it is well combined, then sandwich the macaroons together.

No comments: