Monday, January 26, 2009

Holy Guacamole!

I just got back from 5 days in Cancun, and all I have to say is... I love Mexico. Especially Guacamole. YUM... It's ridiculous how good that stuff was. Every lunch I would pile on the guac, then add extra stuff like fabulous grilled fish, chicken or steak, veggies, and random other sides like tempura cauliflower (WOW SO GOOD!). Each bite of whatever else was on my plate was acompanied by a bite of guacamole and some pico de gallo. I don't understand why my guacamole doesn't turn out like theirs. Sigh. It was soooo good. I'm definitely in withdrawal. If mine came out like that I would eat guacamole every single day! It was the perfect combination of smooth and chunky, perfectly salted, hint of citrus and cilantro, and the taste of onion, but not overpowering.
Many all inclusive places have mediocre food, and I'm not gonna lie, some of the food was mediocre. The good news is that you can find something for everyone. My hotel had thai, sushi, a churrascaria, italian and an "international buffet" and more. My favorite of course was the buffet. So many options! Fruit, yogurt, so many breads, meat grilled as previously stated, but also different meat prepared different ways, some mexican, some curry, some baked etc, veggies so many diferent ways, soups, ah, the list goes on. Each meal was served with a slew of Mexican sauces to put on top of whatever you get. I will soon be searching for those recipes. They were great!
We ate at the Thai restaurant one night, and I had a cod, pan fried with some sauteed veggies. It was pretty good, but a spicy sauce the waiter brought really turned it up a notch. That sauce was excellent!
The BF had a super soup...but I can't remember what kind it was...some sort of cream soup with mushrooms, or ginger or something. It was heavenly. The star of the meal though was the dessert. Rice pudding, in a ball, fried, with vanilla ice cream, and a drizzle of strawberry sauce. It was phenomenal. I will definitely be trying to find that recipe!! Be on the lookout for that!!
We woke up early almost every morning to watch the sunrise, so I included some photos of that, and this last one is a picture of a painting in the hotel... Note the lady in the background with the huge WEDGIE!! HAHAHA this was outside the elevator we had to ride ot get in and out of the building...hilarious.

No comments: