Saturday, June 27, 2009

DB: Bakewell Tarts



Ahh, the Bakewell Tart. A delicious combo of shortbread crust, sweet filling, and a light almondy cake (frangipane) on top. The June Daring Bakers' challenge was hosted by Jasmine of Confessions of a Cardamom Addict and Annemarie of Ambrosia and Nectar. They chose a Traditional (UK) Bakewell Tart... er... pudding that was inspired by a rich baking history dating back to the 1800's in England. If you're not sure what a Bakewell Tart is, check it out on Wikipedia, the all knowing resource.
The recipe is pretty simple- a shortbread crust, jam, and frangipane. I made mine with kumquat jam I made, strawberry jam, blackberry jam and a couple of both kumquat and strawberry mixed for fillings. I also made tartlets in a muffin pan. They turned out pretty well. I have to say I don't love to eat them, but it was alright. As you can see from my pictures I overbaked the frangipane a bit, but the flavor was still good. Either way, the kumquat jam is amazing, so I'll give my rough estimation of the recipe. It was really a delicious experiment. If you haven't had kumquats you should try them. You can eat them whole, each one is little, the size of the end of my thumb about. They are bursting with citrusy goodness. The flavor is like combining lemon and orange together, but sweeter and more sour. Its hard to explain, but its amazing. Buy a container from the store sometime, you'll be happy you did!

Overall, a decent dessert, but I'm not itching to try it again. After reading Diana's reviews then maybe my problem was in the overbaking of the frangipane and I should try it again, but if mine came out how it was supposed to taste then I probably won't make it again. She's singing its praises majorly, so I may have to give it another go.
Check out all my fellow Daring Bakers here, and see their interpretation! Special shout out to my partner in kitchen crime, Diana of Thyme to Lime, and her Bakewell Tart interpretation!


Kumquat Jam
**all measurements are approximations, use your best judgement!
2 containers kumquats, sliced or roughly chopped
3/4 cup sugar
3/4 cup water

Put sugar, kumquats and water in a saucepan, bring to a boil and let simmer for 10 minutes. Let cool, put in airtight jar, let cool. Enjoy!
So sad: Michael Jackson, hopefully he is finally at peace.

Michael_jackson_bad_cd_cover_1987_cdda.jpg

No comments: